2019 Queer Liberation March
Get ready to make some noise with Que(e)ry's contingent in the Queer Liberation March and Rally, organized by the Reclaim Pride Coalition
Sunday, June 30, 2019
- 8:30am-9:30am: Lineup, 7th Av., south of Sheridan Sq.
- 9:30am-1pm: March, up 6th Av.
- 1pm-3pm: Rally, Central Park, Great Lawn
(Note: this is NOT the NYC/World Pride Parade, taking place later the same day)
See https://reclaimpridenyc.org/attending for more details on accessibility, transit, and what you should and should not bring with you.
We will gather starting around 8:30am on 7th Ave south of Christopher Street, before the march steps off from Sheridan Square at 9:30 am, following the route of the original Christopher Street Liberation Day march in June, 1970.
If you can't make it that early, you can still join the march from the sidewalks at any point along the route, but north of West 23rd Street on 6th Ave. may be best, so as to avoid the police barricades and crowds expected for the Pride parade. There will also be a midpoint gathering in Bryant Park at 11am where folks who cannot make the early step-off can join the march. The march ends in a rally at Central Park's great lawn, starting around 1pm until 3pm.
There will also be moments of silence at 11am and 2pm.
We will have some signs and flyers to share but encourage you to bring your own signs/banners (no wood or metal posts), snacks and water in non-glass containers, and sunscreen! If rain is expected, prefer raincoats/ponchos instead of umbrellas if possible!
If you are interested in leading chants, donating supplies, if you have any other ideas, or if there's anything we can do to make participation more possible for you, get in touch with Que(e)ry, or with Reclaim Pride!
- Reclaim Pride's Statement: Why We March
- Know Your Rights (ACLU)
- Rights, Safety, and Documentation during Demonstrations and Protests (from Que(e)ry's #BlackLivesMatter resource list)
- Donate to Reclaim Pride Coalition
- Volunteer with Reclaim Pride for the march or rally
- Gothamist article on the Queer Liberation March
- Art and themes suggestions from Reclaim Pride Coalition: This is a march, not a parade; subvert rainbow capitalism; wear and use black, pink and gold colors to help make a distinct visual statement. Style guide suggestions from RPC.
- Quotes from writers like Audre Lorde, Ursula K. Le Guin, James Baldwin, or Walt Whitman
- Replicas of signs from historic queer demonstrations like the Christopher Street Liberation Day, those organized by lesbian library activist Barbara Gittings, or by Act Up
- Cover art from your favorite queer books
Whether or not you're able or inclined to march with us, you are invited to join us for:
Wednesday, June 26, 2019, 6pm-9pm
Excelsior Bar, 563 5th Ave., Park Slope, Brooklyn
- Some markers and poster-board will be available; feel free to bring more, but please avoid glitter or paints that could create a mess in the bar!
- Notes: Excelsior's entrance has a small ramp; gender neutral restrooms; cash only, ATM available.